Endodontic surgeries are the combined term given for all the procedures that involves pulp less or periodontically involved tooth, requiring root amputation or endodontic therapy.
The procedures that come under endodontic surgery are-
- Incision and Drainage – This is indicated when pus is accumulated within the soft tissue and alveolar bone. A horizontal incision is made at the base of the fluctuant area. This relieves the pressure and causes a discharge of pus.
- Trephination – Cortical trephination is a procedure involving perforation of the cortical plate to accomplish release of pressure from the accumulation of exudate in the alveolar bone.
- Apicoectomy – Also known as root end resection. It is the removal of only the root tip and a root end cavity is prepared and filled with a biocompatible material. This is done when only the apical portion of a tooth root is infected.
- Hemisection – It is the sectioning or cutting of the tooth. This is done when only one half of the tooth is damaged while other half can be preserved.
- Root Resection – Removal of a single tooth root only. It is done only in multi rooted teeth. This is done when infection begins apically and infects the root before the crown is affected.
Endodontic surgeries are highly specialized treatments. We at the Dental Specialists have the best endodontists who have experience in the surgical procedures.