Smile designing has been gaining increased popularity among the general public today and is no longer restricted to celebrities. As people get more and more self-conscious, they realize the need for a beautiful smile and are increasingly investing in smile correction and smile design. The advent of advanced digital smile designing technologies also make the treatment outcome a lot more predictable and instils confidence in patients considering to undergo smile designing.
The other prohibitive factor was the availability of qualified cosmetic dentists with experience in smile design and the cost, however, smile designing cost in India is very reasonable compared to any other country and there are world class cosmetic dentists available to give you that million dollar smile you have always coveted.
For those of you considering smile designing, we have put together this article to provide all the information you might need to start your journey towards a beautiful smile. We encourage you to read it and if you still have questions, you can always contact us.
What is Smile Designing
Smile designing is a cosmetic treatment that involves artistic, skilful improvement of your natural smile in order to achieve an attractive, healthy and pleasing smile. Smile designing often involves multiple dental procedures. There are also many factors that are to be considered while designing a smile, and particular care should be taken not to damage dental function and at the same time maintain the health of dental tissues. Smile designing is the process to get the perfect smile of your choice with minimal possible limitations.
Smile Design is not just about the Teeth
Smile design is not just about your teeth. Before going in-depth into smile designing, it is necessary to understand that smile designing includes multiple elements including –
Factors to Consider for Smile Designing
Age of the Patient: Special considerations have to be taken into account while designing a smile for the elderly.
- It is a well-known fact that with increasing age there will be some wear and tear of any organ or tissues. This theory is applicable to the dental tissues also.
- In old age, there will be noticeable wear in the incisal surfaces i.e. cutting surfaces of upper front teeth, resulting in a decrease in the teeth exposure and at the same time increase in the lower front teeth exposure.
- If removable dentures are fabricated this feature should be incorporated to simulate natural realistic smile of old age.
- Of course, this had to be done with prior patient concern as many people now a day’s don’t like to have this feature, though it is naturalistic.
Sex of the Patient: Male and female smiles are distinctly different and this has to be considered while designing a smile.
- In females, the teeth will be little rounder compared to males which are squarish.
- Also females display more upper front teeth surfaces i.e. around 3.4mm compared to males which is only 1.9mm.
- As mentioned earlier, there is no hard and fast rule and smile designs are modified according to patient expectations
Dental Health: Prior to jumping into the core smile designing process, the dentist will analyze for any missing teeth or mal-aligned teeth and also for health of oral tissues and based on all these advise required procedures to replace the missing teeth and correction of mal-aligned teeth etc. Before starting your smile designing, your dentist will look for any –
- Deposits on teeth surfaces
- Mal-aligned teeth
- Missing teeth
- Decayed teeth
- Teeth discoloration
- Worn out teeth
- Spaces in between teeth
- Gummy smile
- Exposed tooth root surfaces
- Gum tissue overgrowths
- Dark gums
- Flat lips
- Shorter or longer lips
Digital Smile Design
There have been great technological advances in the field of dentistry and digital smile design is definitely one of the key improvements. The best part of digital smile design is that it makes the whole process is very predictable and takes out any doubts and insecurity. To understand how digital smile design works, consider the following steps –
- Using your photographs and radiographs the necessary smile corrections will be done on the computer screen (digital smile designing).
- An output of your newly designed smile can be appreciated prior to undergoing any type of real treatments.
- The advantage is you can have an opportunity to check and even modify your future smile and decide accordingly.
Who Performs a Smile Design
A smile makeover is going to stay with you for the rest of your life and be an integral part of your personality. Smile designing is a specialised treatment and requires expert hands. As a patient, it is your responsibility to choose the right dentist with deep experience and expertise in cosmetic treatments, specifically in smile design and corrections. Also, understand that smile designing is often not a treatment to be a done by a single dentist, more often than not it involves multiple procedures and it is always better to rely on a TEAM of expert dentists with experience across various dental procedures. At The Dental Specialists, we have a highly experienced team of dentist including cosmetic dentists, orthodontics, endodontists, periodontists and others who work collaboratively to design the perfect smile for our patients.
Smile Designing – A Collaborative Approach
Smile designing isn’t a single procedure, it involves multiple corrections which includes teeth, gums, lips etc. Initially, the dentist would analyze your existing smile and discuss with you on your expectations regarding future smile. Later the necessary corrections will be advised accordingly. Some of the common processes often involved includes –
- Tooth color fillings for spaced dentition or minor tooth decay
- Root canal treatment in case of severe tooth decay and severely worn out teeth
- Crowns and bridges in case of missing teeth and also for root canal treated teeth
- Teeth whitening for discolored teeth
- Dental implants in case of missing teeth
- Teeth straightening for mal-aligned teeth
- Laser gum de-pigmentation for dark gums
- Gum surgeries for triangular spaces in between teeth
- Gum grafts for tooth root exposed surfaces
- Gum reshaping for bulbous swollen gums
- Artificial fillers for lip shaping
- Lip Surgeries for shorter or longer lips
Sometimes the dentist will show you a wax mock-up and trial on your plaster teeth models, prior to performing any treatment procedures. This allows you to preview the final expected outcome and decide accordingly on your comfort zone. Once finalized, the dentist will initiate the actual process of smile designing.
How Much Time is Required for Smile Designing
- The time taken for the entire process will vary between one to three weeks depending on the severity of the correction.
- If any teeth straightening procedures are involved it takes around 12 to 16 months to appreciate the final outcome.
Key Success Factors in Smile Design
- Clear picture of Patient expectations
- Doctor expertise
- Lab technician support
- Quality of materials chosen
- Postoperative care
- Follow up and review in every six months
How to Maintain Smile Design – Post Treatment Care
- Requires regular brushing, flossing and rinsing.
- Avoid more abrasive toothpaste and brushing habits thereby avoiding scratches on newly restored surfaces in order to protect their polish and lustre.
- Use alcohol-free mouthwashes as alcohol interferes with the bond between new restoration and your original teeth.
- Try to avoid food with high sugar content.
- Limit consumption of coffee, tea, soda to prevent staining.
- Biting or chewing on hard objects like pens, pencils and bottle caps should be avoided.
- Follow the dentist’s instructions and regular follow up visits will give long term results.
Smile Designing Cost in India
Smile designing is a highly expensive treatment in the US, UK or other western countries. While it is not cheap, comparative smile designing cost in India is much less. The cost of smile designing procedure will vary around INR 50,000 to INR 1,20,000, depending on the severity of the condition and the number of treatment procedures required for the total correction.
Smile Design at The Dental Specialists
- We @ TDS are having an in-house team for smile designing comprising of highly experienced dentists across various branches of dentistry.
- We are equipped with the latest technology and advanced equipment including lasers, digital x rays, orthopantamography OPG, Dental implants, Rotary root canal dentistry, Digital smile designing, Nitrous oxide sedation, advanced CAD CAM technology etc at par with the best clinics globally.
- We follow international standards when it comes to sterilization and disinfection and use sterilizing through fumigation.
If you are considering smile design or smile correction, we will be happy to answer your questions. Contact us and take the first step towards a perfect smile.
Still have questions about Cosmetic Dentistry? We’d love to talk with you. Don’t hesitate to request an appointment online , over the phone or our website to contact us @thedentalspecialists.in
Book an appointment WhatsApp/ SMS/ Call: +91 9000021174/ 9959448800/ +91 9177671117
or whatsapp: https://wa.me/919000021174
For any further queries visit our website: www.thedentalspecialists.in