A gummy smile is A smile which shows more of gums than teeth while smiling. It becomes an aesthetic embarrassment for many people suffering from it due to which they avoid giving an ear to ear grin.
A Gummy Smile can be of 4 types
1. Mild: Amount of gum tissue exposed while smiling is less than 25% of the length of the teeth.
2. Moderate:Amount of gum tissue exposed while smiling is 25-50% of the length of the teeth.
3. Advanced:Amount of gum tissue exposed while smiling is 50-100% of the length of the teeth.
4. Severe: Amount of gum tissue exposed while smiling is more than 100% of the length of the teeth.
Reasons to correct a gummy smile:
– It improves the aesthetics of a smile.
– Increases self confidence.
– Eliminates self-consciousness or embarrassment with smiling.
Causes of gummy smile:
– Could be due to abnormal eruption of teeth.
– Could be due to hyperactive upper lip muscle which causes the lip to be raised higher than normal thereby increasing the gum exposure.
– Could be due to an abnormal upper jaw bone growth pattern as the upper jaw protrudes excessively.
Dental Treatments available for gummy smile:
1) Crown lengthening.
This can be done on one or more teeth or the entire gum line.
Only requires local anesthetic.
2) Maxillofacial surgery to reposition the bone.
3) Orthodontic braces to move the teeth in a more suitable position.
Still have questions about more Gum Related issues? We’d love to talk with you. Don’t hesitate to request an appointment online , over the phone or our website to contact us @thedentalspecialists.in
Book an appointment WhatsApp/ SMS/ Call: +91 9000021174/ 9959448800/ +91 9177671117
or whatsapp: https://wa.me/919000021174
For any further queries visit our website: www.thedentalspecialists.in