Patients undergoing orthodontic treatment in the current generation not only demands a beautiful smile at the end of the treatment but also are equally concerned with appearance during treatment. As there is an increasing demand for an alternative to conventional braces, clear aligners are the new age aesthetic orthodontic treatment. Invisalign is a virtually invisible treatment that uses an innovative approach to gently yet effectively straightens your teeth. Invisaligns are thin transparent removable plastic aligners formed with CAD-CAM laboratory techniques for moving teeth into the required position.
Find more on Invisalign treatment in Hyderabad, India.
How do traditional braces differ from Invisalign
Traditional braces are:
- Visible (unaesthetic)
- Food restrictions have to be followed
- Uncomfortable metal wires
- More difficulty in maintaining oral hygiene
- Requires extraction of premolars in some cases
Advantages of Invisalign over traditional braces
- Virtually invisible – gives confidence to patent to smile
- Maintain good oral hygiene as they are removable
- Comfortable – individually customized
- Ideal for retreatment/relapse cases
- Shorter dental appointments
- More precise treatment duration than braces
- Non-invasive appointments during recall visits
- Uses 3D computer modelling technology to create a customised treatment plan
- Can visualise the progressive movements and expected final results using 3D SOFTWARE
Limitations of Invisalign
- Personal motivation of the patient is required
- It should be worn 20-22 hours a day
- Devices should be removed during meals
Common teeth straightening issues that can be fixed with Invisalign aligners
Gapped teeth occur when you have extra space with your jaw.
Cross bites occur when the upper and lower jaws are misaligned.
A deep bite occurs when upper teeth overlap significantly with lower teeth.
Open bites occur when upper and lower teeth do not overlap normally.
Crowding occurs when there is no proper arch space in the jaws.
Treatment Process for Clear Aligners / Invisalign
- Consultation with your dental provider to determine if Invisalign is suitable for you.
- Using Align technology’s proprietary software, your doctor creates a customized 3D treatment plan and explains you regarding pre and post-operative treatment result.
- Your aligners will be custom made and shipped to your dentist’s clinic
- Your series of custom made aligners will be given to you
- You need to visit the dentist for check-ups every 6-8 weeks
- Congratulations! you have finished your treatment. Maintain your newer, better smile with the use of retainers.
Frequently Asked Questions About Invisalign
What is the duration of treatment with Invisalign
The treatment can last between 28-48 weeks depending upon the type of the dentition and severity of the malocclusion. The aligners need to be changed every two weeks. The initial appointment involves the opinion of orthodontist followed by which, clinical pictures will be taken for treatment plan. In the next visit, impressions are taken to allow the construction of accurate cast, which can be scanned to produce a virtual 3D model. The 3D model can then be manipulated by the dentist and malocclusion is nearly treated using proprietary software. After which, within 3-4 weeks aligners will be ready for usage.
Is the time reduced when compared to conventional braces
Yes, braces are adjusted much less often compared to Invisalign. Hence the time is reduced compared to conventional braces. The patient is advised to wear the aligner for approximately 20 hours per day. Each set of aligner will shift the teeth around 0.25 to 0.3 mm.
What is Invisalign made of?
Invisalign clear aligners are made of a patented thermoplastic material called smart Track which is FDA approved. They are comfortable and easier to put on and take off. It is free of BPA, BPS, latex, gluten.
What is this Smart Track Material
Smart track material is a highly elastic orthodontic material, its elastic properties allow it to return more closely to programmed aligner shape. It is made of polyurethane resin and does not contain bisphenol – A, an industrial chemical better known as BPA.
How long do we need to wear Invisalign in a day
Invisalign aligners need to be worn between 20 -22 hours per day. They should remain in the mouth as much as possible for the treatment to be effective. Each aligner needs to be replaced approximately every two weeks. During your Invisalign treatment, each aligner slowly moves your teeth in to correct position as you wear them.
How does Invisalign help in maintaining oral hygiene
Since Invisalign is removable in contrast to conventional braces oral hygiene can be maintained efficiently. Aligners need to be removed while eating or drinking.
What precautions are needed during treatment?
Eating or drinking should be strictly avoided with Invisalign. Eating sticky foods can pull and tug at the aligners, possibly breaking or damaging them, while drinking specific drinks can potentially stain aligners.
Is there a particular age range / best age for using Invisalign?
Invisalign can be started after the child attains complete dentition of permanent teeth which is around 12-14 years of age. While the skeletal and dental components are more conducive to straightening.
Does Invisalign give Lisp / difficulty in speech?
In some patients, it can cause lisp/speech defects which can alter pronunciation initially. Mild discomfort might be present initially after starting the treatment with a fresh set of aligners and gets better as we use them.
What if I stay out of the country?
The initial appointment with orthodontist will give an idea about the treatment plan. Then, the virtual 3D model can be constructed using the software. This is used to produce a series of clear aligners that steadily correct the malocclusion, which is shipped to your home address.
Are Lingual braces better than Invisalign?
|Similar Cost||Similar Cost|
|Difficult to maintain oral hygiene||Easy maintenance of oral hygiene|
|Discomfort with braces||No discomfort|
|Prolonged treatment duration||Reduced treatment duration|