Periodotics is the department that deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases effecting the periodontium. Periodontium is the supporting structures of the tooth.
Supporting structures of tooth includes Gingiva (gums), Periodontal ligament, Cementum and Alveolar Bone.
Periodontal Diseases are caused by bacteria that are present in the oral cavity. Untreated peiodontal diseases leads to loss of alveolar bone and loss of tooth.
Common Periodental Diseases / Gum Problems
- Gingivitis – Inflammation of the gums. This is most common and almost all individuals have it.Gingivitis is the reason that gums bleed during toothbrushing.
- Periodontitis – Reduction in the height of gums and alveolar bone that leads to weakening support of the tooth and ultimately leads to loss of tooth if left unchecked.
- Peri Implantitis – It is the loss of bone around an implant
Periodontic Treatment Procedures
- Scaling and Curettage– It is the cleaning of the gums and the tooth surface beneath the gums.
- Flap Surgery– Flap surgery is the procedure used to treat periodontitis. In this the mucosal flap is elevated and the tooth surface is cleaned and made free of infection.
- Frenectomy– Frenum is the thick a band of elastic tissue that connects the gum tissue directed adjacent to the gum line to the lip, cheek or floor of the mouth. This tissue is removed in Frenectomy.
- Crown Lengthening– It is the improving of smile by reducing the height of gums.
We at the Dental Specialists have many specialists who perform these procedures.