Complete denture is a removable prosthesis that replaces all natural teeth. Complete denture is very common for geriatric patients.
Completed Dentures Lead to
- Replacement of teeth. This leads to improving esthetics.
- Improves chewing ability.
- Aids in speech and pronunciation especially of the letters- s,l,u,v,t and p.
- Prevents sagging of the cheek and lips which tend to make patient look old.
- All this leads to improving self esteem and confidence.
Procedure for Making Complete Denture
- Primary impression is taken on the first day
- A functional impression is taken on the second appointment which records the border areas as well as the tissues in a functional relation.
- Bite is taken which establishes the relation between the jaws.
- Teeth are arranged and the bite is tried in the patient first before acrylizing the denture.
- Final denture is given.
The success of the complete denture depends on the level of support acquired from bone as well as from the supporting tissue.